Head & Heart is based on the 40-year experience of the Living Wisdom School in Palo Alto, California, and accurately reflects the experience of Living Wisdom Schools in Nevada City, California, Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Washington, and Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Head & Heart offers stimulating conversations with the LWS teachers and students, supportive research, and the thoughts of academic authorities on this proven system for educating well-rounded students.
Three ways to read Head & Heart:
- Read the chapters online (right).
- Download the book as a PDF (Free): Head & Heart (283 pages, 2.8MB).
- Order the book on Amazon: $15.95 plus shipping ($5 for Kindle): Head & Heart: How a Balanced Education Nurtures Happy Children Who Excel in Academics and Life. (Proceeds from book sales support our school.)
Read the Chapters Online
- Introduction: A Conversation with Living Wisdom School Director Helen Purcell
- Philosophy of Living Wisdom School
- First Steps at Living Wisdom School
- The 5 Stages of a Child’s Development
- A Visit to Third Grade
- Meaning at an Early Age
- Addressing the Best in Each Child
- Academics at Living Wisdom School
- Maturity and the Qualities Ceremony
- Crash and Burn — A Twisted Picture of Success
- Choosing the Right School — A Teacher’s Suggestions
- Creating a Caring Community
- Inclusiveness Training at Living Wisdom School
- Educating Middle Schoolers at Living Wisdom School
- How Living Wisdom School Trains Teachers
- Academic Achievement and Education for Life
- An MIT Graduate Reflects on Teaching at Living Wisdom School
- Mathematical Competitions at Living Wisdom School
- Living Wisdom School Graduates’ High School and College Grades 2011-2014
- Standardized Test Results
- Ten Questions Parents Ask About Living Wisdom School
- Students and Parents Talk About Living Wisdom School
- How Educating Children’s Hearts Improves Academic Performance
- Can the Arts Help Children Excel Academically?